Recently, my mum and I were going through one of our family reunion cookbooks and came across a recipe for Hot Milk Cake. My mum informed me that my great grandma used to make it, and that it was a simple treat that was made during the Depression-Era. So of course, my mum and I put on our favorite aprons and headed to the kitchen to whip up a batch of hot milk cake cupcakes, and the result was too addicting not to share.Great Grandma’s Hot Milk Cake with Caramel Icing
Hot Milk Cake
1. Add and beat after each addition: 4 eggs, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder.
2. ½ cup oleo gets melted into 1 cup milk.
3. Pour second mixture into first.
4. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla.
5. Bake at 350.
1. 1 stick oleo, 1 cup brown sugar – boil for 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, add ¼ cup milk.
3. Return to heat until mixture comes to a boil again.
4. Remove, cool and beat in 2 cups powdered sugar.