Over the weekend I had a Mother’s Day brunch for my mum. Mum and I love lemon so I knew I wanted to incorporate it somehow into the meal. I decided to experiment a little and came up with a recipe for the most scrumptious lemon muffins. They are light and airy, topped with a lemony glaze. Making these an ideal addition to brunch.
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil (I used canola)
4 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
zest from 2-3 lemons
4 tablespoons organic lemon juice (or juice from 2-3 lemons)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In a medium bowl add vinegar to milk and stir well (this will "sour" the milk - you can also use 3/4 cup buttermilk instead of doing this I was just saving money). Add oil, eggs and zest and whisk until combined.
3. In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Add the milk mixture to your dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
4. Pour batter into 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. While the bread is baking, stir the glaze ingredients together until sugar dissolves. When the muffins are done, and still in the cupcake pan, prick the bread with a wooden skewer making sure to go all the way to the bottom. Pour glaze over each muffin, and cool in pan on a wire rack.
* Note these taste better the next day so make sure you make them the day before you will be serving them.